The Staff of ISHAR come from a range of different cultural backgrounds. Ishar Multicultural Women’s Health Centre values and acknowledges the contributions of its diverse team. Through its integrated service model, the Centre ensures clients have access to a full range of expertise offered by its multidisciplinary team. Of particular importance is the contribution made by the Centre’s bilingual workers who provide unique access to, and expertise in working with diverse communities.
Ishar appreciates the opportunity to provide workplace experience and student placements to local, interstate and international Institute of Technology and University students.
Ishar offers practicum opportunities to students from disciplines including Community Work; Social Work; Social Science; Nursing and Medicine.
Requesting a Placement
Placement opportunities at the Centre are limited and there are usually more requests than places available. Therefore lecturers and supervisors should write to Ishar one full semester beforehand to secure a placement for their students.
- Requests for placement must be sent in writing by the University or College and addressed to Ishar’s Chief Executive Officer, Ms. Andrea Creado.
- Once a placement is approved, a meeting will be organized with the student to discuss the details, and arrange the induction to the Centre.
- Students should arrange a current Police Clearance and Working with Children Clearance prior to this initial meeting.
Ishar Multicultural Women’s Health Centre encourages women to volunteer to participate in a cooperative team effort to achieve the aims of the Centre.
If you wish to volunteer at Ishar, please write to Ms. Andrea Creado, Ishar’s Director and enclose your most recent resume
As an Ishar volunteer:
- you will be provided with a clear job description
- you will receive an appropriate induction and training
- you will assist and support staff not replace them
- you will have opportunities for regular feedback
- you will be treated with respect at all times
- you will be covered by insurance
All volunteers must provide a current Police Clearance and sign a ‘Confidentiality Agreement’ and Code for Volunteers.
Ishar clients and staff appreciate the interest in voluntarily sharing skills and knowledge to assist other women in the community.