Multicultural Carers’ Support & Skills Development Program
The program is funded by the Department of Health WA, Office of Mental Health and enables Ishar to provide a program for male and female carers aged 18 years and older, from CaLD communities throughout the metropolitan region who care for a family member or significant other with mental health problems. (The program is hosted by Ishar in partnership with West Australian Transcultural Mental Health Centre and Ethnic Disability Advocacy Centre).
Aims of the program
- To provide a CaLD Carer Support Service that focuses on the emotional, social, cultural, religious and linguistic needs of the carer
- To represent CaLD carers’ interests and strengthen networks and liaisons with key agencies in relation to carer support and skills development
Who can access our services?
- Carers of family members with a mental illness.
- Carers from a migrant or refugee background.
- Carers feeling low and in need of someone to talk to
- Carers seeking the support and company of other people in similar situations
What programs are available?
- Group programs – exercise classes, art, meditation, creative imagery and many more. Special programs for children are also organised
- Personal counselling – to talk about issues and get comfort during trying times
- Information sessions – Monthly information sessions on mental health topics such as eating disorders, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, dementia, autism and more. These information sessions are delivered by experts in the field and are accompanied by an information display
- Training – Regular training programs are provided to help carers learn new skills to carry out their caring role in a more effective manner. Bilingual workers are also trained to do outreach work with multicultural communities.
Where do we meet?
Ishar Multicultural Centre for Women’s Health
21Sudbury Road, MIRRABOOKA 6061
Tuesday –Thursday @ 9.00 am – 4.00 pm
Midland Women’s Health Care Place
Tel. 9250 2221 Mob: 0413 495 313
4 The Avenue, Midland
10.30am –12.00 noon Thursdays (Time and date are subject to change)
Fremantle Multicultural Centre
Tel: 9336 8282 Mob: 0413 495 313
241-243 High Street, Fremantle.
10.30am – 12.00 noon Tuesdays (Time and date subject to change)
ARAFMI – www.arafmi.asn.au
MIFWA – www.mifa.org.au/mifwa (Mental Illness Fellowship of WA)
Fremantle Multicultural Centre Inc. - www4.fmcwa.com.au
Richmond Fellowship of WA – www.rfwa.org.au
Carers Self Education Links
Carers Recognition Act 2004 - www.disability.wa.gov.ay/publication/carers.html
Carers Advisory Council - www.disability.wa.gov.ay/publication/carers.html
Carer involvement Framework - www.disability.wa.gov.ay/publication/carers.html
Carer Involvement Framework Literature Review - www.disability.wa.gov.ay/publication/carers.html
Support for Carers - www.disability.wa.gov.ay/publication/carers.html
A Review of Counselling Services Available to Carers in Western Australia - www.disability.wa.gov.ay/publication/carers.html