Ishar Health Services are funded by the National Women’s Health Program, directed through the Department of Health. This funding enables Ishar to offer a Clinical Service, a Multicultural Counselling Service, Health Education/Health Promotion Services and an Information and Referral Service.
- A Well Women’s Health Clinic addressing women’s health issues incorporating an ante-natal clinic, coordinated by a female GP and midwife.
- A physiotherapy clinic providing individual consultations and physical activity sessions coordinated by a female physiotherapist.
Multicultural Counselling Service
- An individual counselling service provided by a female registered psychologist.
- Psycho-education / therapeutic groups
Health Education/Health Promotion Services
- Implementation of programs for specific cultural communities which aim to enhance health awareness and health behaviours
- Integration of health education into all programs offered by Ishar
- Promotion of health related information through in-house and/or community displays
- Participation in community cultural events to promote women’s health issues
- Partnership with other organisations in implementing one-day seminars or workshops for community women and/or health professionals
- Provision of cross cultural awareness information sessions to health professionals.
Child Birth Information and Education Service
Community Midwifery WA subcontracts Ishar to provide a pregnancy information and support service for recently arrived refugee women. This service is provided by a registered midwife. Her passion for the women she is working with has created a nurturing, safe environment for them to receive the personalised pregnancy support they are not able to access elsewhere. She is available to assist pregnant women with one–to–one childbirth education and early parenting enquiries.
Perinatal Support Program
This project is funded by the State Perinatal Mental Health Unit. Culturally and linguistically diverse women who are pregnant or have children under 3 years of age are invited or referred to this innovative, informative program. The women meet weekly at Ishar for a 6 week program to learn new life skills, share existing skills and have fun. Creche facilities are provided.
There are a number of 6-week sessions run annually.
Home Visiting Program
This project is funded by the State Perinatal Mental Health Unit and coordinated by a Social Worker who provides a home-visiting service for women who are pregnant or have children under 3 years of age, and are at risk, or experiencing post-natal depression.
Access to any of Ishar’ Health Services:
- Service providers can access a Referral Form on this website.
- Women may self refer – simply phone for an appointment.
Cost of services:
- Well Women’s Health Clinic – Bulk-billed. Bring Medicare Card and / or Pension Card
- Physiotherapy Clinic – No cost.
- Counsellor – Bulk-billed with GP Mental Health Plan. Otherwise, $10.00 per consultation.
- Most other services are free of charge unless otherwise stated.
A free interpreter service is available through Translating & Interpreting Services (TIS) when required. Simply ask for an interpreter to be arranged when making appointments.
Ishar has a number of bi-lingual workers who assist Project Officers and participants with other programs including workshops, information sessions and the like.