Welcome to Ishar
Ishar Multicultural Women’s Health Centre Inc. encourages the health and wellbeing of women of all ages and from all cultural backgrounds. It has a holistic philosophy grounded in the ‘Social Model of Health’ where the ‘medical’ condition of women seeking services is not separated from the real life interconnections of personal, social, economic, racial, age and gender relationships they experience.
Ishar’s service delivery is flexible and responsive to the needs of the participating women who are provided with information, referral, counselling, training and/or support.
Since its beginning, the Centre has adopted a working style that focuses on the healing of lifestyle related problems and the promotion of independence for women, particularly those from culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) backgrounds.
The Centre was officially opened on August 10, 1992 and now regards itself as part of the local community. In April 1995, after consultations with a group of client women the name “Ishar” was created and chosen by vote by the management committee, staff and volunteers. It is based on the word “Isha” meaning “woman” in Hebrew.
At Ishar We
- Celebrate diversity
- Work in partnership
- Encourage participation and the building of capacity
- Treat everyone with dignity and respect
- Work ethically and reflectively
- Support and nurture each other
- Value innovation and
- Work with passion and dedication.
Federal Funding Bodies:
- Department of Social Services
- Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- Cancer Australia
State Funding Bodies:
- Department of Health
- Department for Local Government and Communities
- Mental Health Commission
- Office of Multicultural Interest
- WA Police
Other Funding Bodies/ Philanthropist:
- Independent Living Centre
- Carers WA
- Australian Redcross
- Royal Life Saving
- City of Stirling
- The Smith Family
- Mercy Foundation
- Grant Thornton